Journalistic work, possible motive for the murder of Luis Martín Sánchez according to the Nayarit Prosecutor’s Office; European Union condemns the murder 

627

The Nayarit Attorney General’s Office for the moment ruled out organized crime as the motive for the murder of journalist Luis Martín Sánchez, La Jornada correspondent in the state. 

Prosecutor Petronilo Díaz Ponce reported that the journalistic work of the communicator was established as the main line of investigation. 

For this reason, he said, work is being carried out on the investigation folder on the communicator’s cell phone devices, review of the C4 surveillance cameras to determine the alleged material and intellectual perpetrators. 

The state official considered that, for the Nayarit Prosecutor’s Office, it is a priority issue, which is why they are working in coordination with the Attorney General’s Office (FGR) to advance the investigations. 

     “The acts of investigation, technical evidence and expert evidence are being processed with the state and federal authorities. We are going to do everything on our part to establish a clear line of investigation to find the material authors, as intellectuals, we are not going to exhaust all the instances to have results in the investigation folder,” said Díaz Ponce. 

The justice prosecutor reported that, in addition, the possible relationship in the disappearance of the three communicators in less than 72 hours, in the same area of the El Armadillo town in the municipality of Xalisco between July 5 and 7, is being investigated. 

For now, the two communicators who were located, Osiris Maldonado and Jonathan Lora, as well as the family of the murdered journalist, Luis Martín Sánchez, have the protection of the State Police and National Guard as a security measure. 

The European Union, Norway and Switzerland condemned the murder of the correspondent for the newspaper La Jornada in the state of Nayarit, Luis Martín Sánchez Iñiguez, which occurred last Saturday, considering that violence against journalists threatens human rights in the country. 

     “The death of Mr. Sánchez Íñiguez exposes the situation of violence and intimidation faced by many journalists in Mexico and which constitutes a threat to human rights,” the EU said in a statement. 

In the bulletin, they urged the Mexican authorities, despite the decrease in the number of cases that occurred this year compared to previous ones, to create favorable and protective environments so that journalists can carry out their activities freely, without putting their lives at risk. and without threats, to avoid having “silent zones” where no journalist dares to work. 

Organizations that defend freedom of expression pointed out that the 59-year-old correspondent would be the fourth journalist killed so far in 2023. 

Of those four cases, in two it has been confirmed that his death occurred due to his journalistic work and the other two are still being documented. 

In 2022, Mexico was listed as the most dangerous “country at peace” for the press, concentrating 20 percent of the murders of journalists in the world, with 13 cases, according to the organization Reporters Without Borders (RSF). 

The EU “strongly” condemned the murder of the journalist and expressed its condolences and solidarity with those close to the victim. 

They also recognized the efforts made by the authorities to clarify the latest murder cases but reiterated their “great concern” about the level of impunity in cases of journalists murdered in previous years. 

     “(We reiterate) our call for those responsible for both material and intellectual responsibility for all these murders to be identified and prosecuted,” the EU established. 

The lifeless body of Sánchez Iñiguez was found on Saturday, July 9, in the town of Huachines, near the town of El Aguacate, in the municipality of Tepic, capital of Nayarit. 

The organization Article 19 reported that it had documented the disappearance of Sánchez Íñiguez, according to information published by the outlet where he worked, and that his whereabouts had been unknown since the night of last Wednesday, July 5. 

According to La Jornada, the reporter’s wife, Cecilia López, reported to the Nayarit Prosecutor’s Office that the journalist was not at home and that unknown persons had taken him along with some work materials such as his computer, his cell phone, and a hard drive, as well as its media accreditation. 

 Source: Milenio